Friday, April 17, 2009

20 Questions with...

Ross Pearson of The Ultimate Fighter 9
By: Samantha Johnson

Photo courtesy Ross' Myspace




Ross was kind enough to take a minute and answer "20 questions".





1. When did you fall in love with MMA?
I can honestly say I fell in love with MMA when I very first saw it, probably back in 1999 whilst watching one of the earlier UFC shows. I knew straight away it was what I wanted to do..

2. What was the first MMA fight you ever saw?
I can't remember which fight but I got a video of UFC 1 and Royce Gracie really stood out to me.

3. What/who got you interested in martial arts?
As a kid I always loved watching Bruce Lee, Jean Claude Van Damm and Steven Segal films. I was very energetic so my Mam and Dad pushed me into Martial Arts.

4. You've been training for approx. 5 years. What was the first martial art you started with and at what age was it?
I started in tae kwondo at age 6.

5. Where do you currently train?
I train in a few different gyms up and down the country. Lately I have been training with Team Quannum in Manchester but I also train regularly in Sunderland with my Thai coach and Boxing coach.

6. Do you plan on staying in the UK to train or making the move across the pond?
I don't know about a permanent move over just yet, but visiting to train is definitely what I want to do.

7. If you could train with anyone who would it be?
There are so many people I would love the chance to train with, but I would have to say BJ Penn would be my number 1 choice.

8. I know it's only seen a tremendous growth in the last couple of years, what was it like being an MMA fighter in the UK before MMA got so popular?
The main change I have noticed is that the shows and crowds are getting bigger and better, support from fans obviously makes it easier than before.

9. What other sports were you into as a kid?
Obviously in the UK football is massive so I played a bit when I was younger but never got into it like I did Martial Arts.

10. Do you have any siblings?
No I am an only child.

11. If you weren't an MMA fighter what would you be doing?
I would probably still be on a building site laying bricks but cant imagine doing anything but fighting.

12. Has there ever been a time when you thought "Forget it, this isn't for me! I'm done!" If so, what was the situation?
I have never felt this way, I have always enjoyed everything about the sport. I am still young and if I felt like that at this age I don't think I would have a future in MMA.

13. What's the "softer" side of Ross? --Do you still sleep with a teddy bear (or pint?)? Are you a closet fan of "Sex and the City?"
I am a huge Mother's boy, she still does all my cleaning and washing and makes my tea. My girlfriend also makes me watch Americas Next Top Model which I must admit I am starting to enjoy, especially Tyra.

14. What's your normal diet when you're training for a fight? Do you do anything "special"?
Nothing special really, I eat clean most of the time but when a fight is coming up I am very strict. I cut out all fatty foods and have a high protein intake.

15. Did you eat anything in the [ultimate fighter] house you'd never ate before?
Yeah I had Sushi in the house which I hadn't tried before.

16. How did your eating habits change -in the house- when the budget was unlimited? - You could literally have filet mignon for every meal if you wanted.
Although it was great to have an unlimited budget I had to bear in mind I could be fighting any day so didn't want to alter my diet to much. I was always watching my weight.

17. Who's your favorite fighter?
At the moment I would say either GSP or Thiago Alvez so I cant wait for UFC 100!

18. If you could spend a day with anyone who would it be? (dead or alive, famous or non)
I have to say Ron Burgundy because he is a legend! I also have many leather bound books like him and my house smells of rich mahogany!!

19. What's your ultimate goal in this sport?
Firstly to establish myself in the UFC but obviously my ultimate goal is to be a UFC champion.

20. Finally, is Bisping really as popular as a footballer [soccer player]?
Yeah maybe a 3rd division footballer! Only joking, he is a massive figure for MMA in the UK but obviously it isn't at the same level of popularity as football [soccer] is here.

"20 Questions" is a new feature that I plan to run regularly from now on. Feel free to e-mail me with suggestions of who you'd like to see featured on "20 Questions".
What questions did you like? Which didnt't you. Let me know.


Miss something? Comments? Suggestions? E-mail me: samantha.lynn.johnson@gmail.com

No comments: